Today I got the opportunity to job shadow a family friend, Jan Ohman, who is the Editorial Director of Employee Communications at Intel. Basically she is in charge of a team who produces Circuit, Intel's intranet for their 82,000 employees with news stories, corporate videos, and other content.
Some highlights I learned while at Intel:
- Intel offers it's employees free coffee and soda!
- Intel Twitters
- Intel is the #1 2008 Corporate Citizen
- Intel has accounts with Facebook and Dreamworks
- Intel is very pro-diversity and ergonomics focused
- Focus Group Research Break Downs (I felt like I was back in GB301)
- Discussions about Intel's plasma TVs (they are attempting to go paperless - Bentley is the same way) and how to improve their effectiveness
- Local news
- Internal news
- Emergency information
- Discussions about Intel's Press Releases (and how blogging has become almost more effective - reminded me of Isreal's book - Naked Conversations)
All in all an awesome experience. I got to meet a ton of people and had the chance to network. Hopefully something will come out of today!