I was at Wildhorse lifeguarding for an awesome ministry called First Call Family Ministries. Which supports first responders (firefighters, police, and EMS professionals and their families), while showing them God's love. Here are some statistics about these professionals:
- Divorce rates as high as 84%
- Suicide rates can be as high as 6X the national average (there is also a correlation between children of first responders and suicide)
- Significantly higher levels of alcohol, substance abuse and domestic violence
- Cynicism, hyper-vigilance, and isolationism become their world
- On top of putting their own personal safety on the line every day in order to protect and serve our communities
Makes you want to hug the next police officer, firefighter or EMS personal right?