Friday, February 06, 2009

Coraline Review



Before I start this review it should be noted that I:
(a) Love children's movies - Little Mermaid, Never Ending Story, Fern Gully
(b) Love cult classic movies - Boondock Saints, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Donnie Darko
(c) Love all things remotely related to Nike - If you don't live in Oregon or have been under a rock lately, Coraline was made at Laika Studios, which is owned by Phil Knight...

Anyways, the movie rocked! I saw it in 3D which ALWAYS makes movies better in my opinion. Fun fact, Coraline was shot entirely in 3D, 24 frames per second for shot animation. Double that to 48 frames per second for 3D - INCREDIBLE! The soundtrack was amazing, very mystical and fun. Each character has their own personality, posture and movement. The sets were amazing, you can tell that people put their hearts into them. The opening credits were my personal favorite. And while I believe the black cat in Coraline is a direct reference to Vincent in Nightmare Before Christmas. (Who was the ONLY character who gave me nightmares when I saw that movie for the first time when I was 7). My friend, Katie, who went with me to see the movie pointed out that the story is told in segments (or episodes) which is something I hadn't picked up on, but in hindsight can totally see. She has read the children's book too (also something that I didn't know - but plan on reading soon).

Great movie! Go see it and tell me what you think!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im one of those "living under a rock" people, I have never heard of it
but thats a sweet looking tree on the poster. Do you get to keep the 3d glasses? because then it might be worth seeing
-eric

Jenna said...

Yeah, the tree reminds me a lot of the "hill" in Nightmare Before Christmas. I did keep my 3D glasses - I think I'm going to make a fashion statement with them. The movie is great to see regardless if you keep the glasses or not.

Josh Groth said...

Yay for 3D movies, and yay for kids kids movies! Seriously going to have to check it out. Who doesn't love a good kids movie?

Jenna said...

Kids movies do rock. There is nothing like vegging out on a Saturday morning and busting out a kid movie. We have on demand and I love finding good free movies on Saturday mornings!