Thursday, April 03, 2008

Diversity Identity Paper Assignment: Religion

I'm taking a managing diversity class and we have to write a paper on diversity identity on a topic of our choice (race, sexual orientation, nationality or religion). I'm choosing religion, since it is something that is a huge part of my life. I have to interview myself, which is weird, a friend who shares the same religion as I do, (future shout out to Jackie, my roommate, for letting me interview her) and my friend and fellow RA Shekib, who is Muslim.

I'm currently working on the personal interview and some of the questions are interesting to answer, because, for the most part, my time here at Bentley I have felt like the only practicing "real/good" Christian among my friends. So I wonder how my professors are going to take to reading my paper. The way it is structured it seems as though they assume you were born into your religion. Which I wasn't, so that is slightly odd for me to write from that perspective (although I can see how you are born into other things like race).

There was another question that was interesting to me: How would you describe the current climate in the setting you share in relation to you religion? What does that mean? I wrote, "good, a little worried for what God has in store for me after graduation." However, I do not feel as though that is a collegiate paper response.

Just my thoughts for now...

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Collegiate response quandary: honest and concise vs. over-stated and rambling. What a choice! ;o)