Thursday, April 17, 2008

Religion Paper Update

I am writing a paper on religion for my managing diversity class. I had to interview one person from my religion, my roommate Jackie, and one person from a different religion, my friend Shekib who is Muslim.

One of the paper's questions is: What did you learn about yourself, related to diversity (from both your self-interview and your conversations)? This is what I came up with:
"While doing this assignment I became very aware of all the messages I have acquired over the years from my church, my friends, and my community. I was really surprised at the number of messages I had acquired compared to those that Jackie and Shekib had heard. While interviewing them, I shared what I had learned during my self interview and they seemed to be surprised as well. I began to wonder why I had received more messages than my interviewees and my conclusion is that this was because I had spent so much of my middle and high school years in the church. Not only did I go to church on Sundays, but I went to the student church service, Bible study, camps, mission trips, and was a leader in my church. Through these experiences I was exposed to so much more aspects of religion, aside from the Bible, I was taught what my church believes a good Christian woman is above reproach. Not until doing this assignment did I come to this heightened sense of awareness."

Thoughts?

No comments: